Stephanie Metzger: ADE Intern

With my 9th grade computer class !

Hi ! My name is Stephanie Metzger and I’m currently interning with ADE teaching computer classes in the high school and English in the elementary schools. I am going to be a sophomore at Penn State, and I’m studying Education and Spanish. I came to work with ADE because I love the model of development, and hope to recreate this model to wherever God calls me once I finish my time at Penn State. The focus on community and the relationships that are built here are incredible, and I've learned so much during my summer here. I came to work with ADE at the end of May and sadly I’ll have to return home at the beginning of August. Although I don’t have as much time as I’d like, I have enjoyed every second of my time here! 
The best part of my time in the school has been getting to know the students. Every student has been so welcoming and friendly, and it makes me sad to think I’ll be leaving in a few weeks. Each grade is filled with students who have been a blessing to me and I have learned so much from them. I always have so much fun with my classes, and been able to work on projects from making websites to having pen pals. All of the students here have so many different interests and are extremely well rounded. It’s been great to see all the projects students are pursuing to complete their community hours from tutoring to teaching classes about computers for older members of their church. They are all amazing students and people! Additionally, I’ve had the chance to spend time with the students tutoring outside of school, and it’s been amazing to see how hard these students are working. I love spending time with them, and I couldn’t be more impressed by their hard work. I’ve seen some incredible students who know and love Christ, which has been one of the most rewarding parts of my time here.

7th grade !

After school I’ve had the opportunity to become involved in the Volcan Poas project, where some of the students have been given the opportunity to become tour guides at the National Park. The UN has provided support for this project, and it’d been a huge blessing to have this opportunity given by such a huge organization. I’ve been able to go to the park and help the students with their English in order to give tours. It has been incredible to see how hard these students work, and how quickly they learn when they see that their knowledge has real world implications. The group of students working at the Volcano are balancing school, exams, and managing this new job. All of them are great students, but also are wonderful people and so much fun. I’m excited to see how the projects begins to open doors for other students to enter into the park as guides, and ask for prayers that on the opening day of the project, July 31st, that all of their hard work pays off with a successful evaluation from the UN.

Guides at Turriabla
Overall my time here has been a huge blessing, and I’m lucky to have the chance to get to know all of the students here. I’m sad to be leaving soon, but I’m so happy to have made new friends and gained valuable experience teaching in such a loving community!
With some of my 7th graders!

Comments

Popular Posts